I can’t believe I’ve been using this cleaner for years and never had the idea to blog about it! I guess because it is so SIMPLE that I don’t usually think people will be interested…but maybe BECAUSE it is simple some of you will appreciate the idea.
My secret ingredients??
White Vinegar + Citrus Peels
Do you already use white vinegar in your home? It is so useful in so many ways! Some of my favorite ways to use white vinegar are: all purpose spray, laundry, cleaning the coffee pot, cleaning any appliance, homemade mopping solution, deodorizing the garbage disposal, cleaning the microwave, and more!
Citrus peels!?!? Yes! Not only do citrus peels have powerful dissolvent in them, they also make any room just smell so fresh and clean! I noticed a difference in my cleaner when I started adding citrus peels to it – it actually cleans better!
How I Make My All Purpose Citrus Spray
- Fill jar with citrus peels
- Pour white vinegar over the peels and fill up jar, close with lid
- Let the citrus and vinegar sit on a shelf somewhere for several weeks
- Pour into spray bottle and begin cleaning! (If the scent is too strong for you, dilute the cleaner with a bit of water)
It really is that simple! I have a lot of peel at my house because I love fresh lemon in my water daily and I’ve also been juicing for over a month now. So, I save all the peels from my clementines, navels, oranges and lemons to use in my cleaners!
- To clean your microwave, place a small bowl of white vinegar inside and run it for a minute. Take out the vinegar and simply WIPE CLEAN the insides! It all just wipes out so easily after that vinegar has been heated!
- If you want to make more of a “scouring” cleaner, take your white vinegar and add BAKING SODA to it! Not only it is a fun science experiment for the kids to watch, but it’s a great, non-toxic cleaner! (There seem to be conflicting reports online about combining these 2 items, but I’ve had good luck with it, so just try it out and see if it works for you!)
- If you’d like to read more of my frugal ideas, I’d love for you to visit my little place on the web where you can read about our chickens, saving money on groceries without coupons and more!