Almost 2 years ago, I was home with a 5 year old, a 2.5 year old, and a 2 week old. As luck would have it with a December baby, my 2.5 year old was coming down with a nasty cold, and I was looking for anything that could help keep my 2 week old son from catching her bug. My sister was here to visit and well, let’s be honest, keep us all alive! I had heard of essential oils, but didn’t know anything about them. A few hours later, I was the proud owner of peppermint oil, a First Response oil, and some frankincense. So started my journey into learning how essential oils can be a helpful tool for my family’s health. I’m not against medications, but any time I can find a natural alternative for myself and my kids I’m so much happier to use that!
Essential oils have been so useful for us! I’ll be honest, it’s a really overwhelming world to get into. Even after 2 years there is still so much I don’t know. But, I have learned a few things, and I’d love to share them with you. I have no certifications in this area, I’m no expert for sure, just a mama trying to help her family in as natural a way as is possible. Here are my 5 favorite oils and how they have helped us in case any of you are beginning to look into them and are as confused as I was.
- Lavender – What can I NOT do with lavender? Love this one. So gentle and versatile, it is a great one for using with kiddos* around. A swipe of lavender can change the mood around here for my fussy toddler, emotional preschooler, or hyper 6 year old. The first few months I felt so silly trying it and thinking it couldn’t possibly be working – but I can’t deny the mood change that occurs almost every time I use it! We use lavender on bee stings, bug bites, and burns for quick relief for little ones, and add it to lotion for dry itchy skin.
- Frankincense – Am I the only mama who too frequently finds herself with a spinning brain full of thoughts and plans, but can’t quite process what to do next? Well, maybe I am, but somehow I think not. Using frankincense in a diffusing necklace, a room diffuser, or just a few deep breaths over the empty bottle really helps to clear my thoughts and balance my brain on these kinds of days. It has also been really helpful for my headaches, used together with peppermint and lavender. (Frankincense is one of the more expensive oils, but remember, you only use a drop or two at one time so it really stretches out.)
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca)- This is another incredibly versatile oil, and is used in our house on a daily basis. A drop in my face lotion helps keep my skin clear. 3-5 drops in my laundry loads, especially those loads that have been washed multiple days in a row because the next step keeps getting missed. Oh wait, does that happen in your house too?
- Peppermint – This oil is one to be cautious in using on little ones, but has been very helpful for me. I used it for morning sickness to help survive my first trimester, use it on the back of my neck with lavender and frankincense for headaches, and it helps clear out stuffy sinuses quickly. I’ve used it in lotion on for my back muscles that aren’t thrilled about the second trimester baby growth spurts.
- Lemon – I love lemon oil. Honestly, I just love the smell! I love mixing it with frankincense to freshen up the smell, as I don’t love the smell of frankincense. It’s great for adding to laundry to freshen it up. You know that lovely sticker goo you find folding a load of laundry that’s already gone through the washer and dryer? A few drops of lemon oil and it will wipe right off. Amazing right? I thought so. Gum stuck in the little girl’s hair because her brother told her he would make it pretty? Yup, takes that out too. Mixed with peppermint, it makes a great morning blend to help wake up after a sleepless night.
One of Heidi’s favorite brands is Spark Naturals, and you can use the coupon code THEBUSYMOM for 10% off all the time!
While it can certainly be an overwhelming world to get into, I have so enjoyed finding all the different ways that these oils can help our family. What a gift that God has created plants with properties that can help our bodies function more healthily and naturally! What is your favorite use for essential oils in your home?
*Note: Not all essential oils are advised around children and babies! Please research your oils, dilute and use kid safe oils around your little ones!