Anyone who knows me knows how much I love homeschooling, and today I’m talking with my friend Zan Tyler about the five reasons homeschooling is awesome. But knowing it is awesome isn’t always enough to make you realize you are capable of doing it. So we are here today to tell you how you can and how we want to help!
Watch the podcast on YouTube
Join us at MomStrong International! We have two memberships: Scripture Writing Membership and Bible Study Membership.
Be sure to check out IEW!
Meet The Guest
“My story is about the greatness and faithfulness of the Lord—and how He uses ordinary people to accomplish His extraordinary plans.”
Zan’s homeschool journey began in 1984 when homeschooling was illegal. The State Superintendent of Education threatened Zan with jail for insisting on homeschooling her son. For the next eight years, she and other homeschool families battled for homeschool freedom and the establishment of landmark homeschool legislation in South Carolina. To this day, her legislative success in South Carolina has spearheaded legislation to ensure homeschool freedom in other states. In 1990, she founded the South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools and served as its president for ten years. Her fight for homeschool freedom has led her to serve as the National Grassroots Director for ParentalRights.org, to advocate for homeschooling in the media (appearing on NBC’s Today Show) and at the nation’s capital, and to write profusely about the benefits of homeschooling.
Zan’s deepest desire is to encourage parents to raise children who love the Lord, understand their callings in life, and become active citizens who understand the freedom principles undergirding our great American heritage. She is an inspirational speaker and author, a consultant for BJU Press and the Home School Legal Defense Association, and the founder of the South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools (SCAIHS). For sixteen years, Zan worked with Christian publishers to develop homeschool curriculum and resources. In 2015 she was presented with the Chris Klicka Award for her dedication and commitment to home education worldwide. She considers the twenty-one-years she and her husband, Joe, spent homeschooling their own three children from kindergarten through high school to be one of the greatest privileges of her life.
As a prolific author, Zan is best known for her classic homeschool book, 7 Tools For Cultivating Your Child’s Potential. She is currently authoring a new book to be released by BJU Press in the spring of 2019. Zan’s website, zantyler.com offers weekly inspiration through her blog ministry, lists events where homeschoolers can connect with Zan personally, and provides information on Zan’s and Joe’s speaking topics.
Awards and Recognition
- Chris Klicka Award (honoring courage, dedication, and commitment to home education), presented by Home School Legal Defense Association
- Robert Dreyfus Courageous Christian Leadership Award
- Order of the Palmetto, awarded by Governor David Beasley (the highest honor a civilian in South Carolina can receive)
- South Carolina Homemaker of the Year, chosen by Phyllis Schlafly and Eagle Forum
All Things Heidi
- Heidi’s Bookshelf
- Send in a voice message to the podcast (please let me know if you DO NOT want me to air the audio on air)
- Click here to donate a non-tax deductible gift to Heidi St. John.
- Subscribed to my newsletter and podcast emails!
- Everywhere you can find me online.
- Shop my Store
- See all events here
- MomStrong International
- Sample Bible Study Week and Cursive Copywork.
- To see the Manuscript of the Copywork and the Scripture Writing schedule, sign up at MomStrong International for a FREE account to gain access!
- Bible Study kicks off the first Monday of each month.
- Scripture Writing kicks off the first day of every month.
- Speaking Requests
- Submit your questions to MailBox Monday
- Essential Oils
- Shop my Amazon Store
- My Books: Becoming MomStrong | MomStrong Bible Study | Prayers for the Battlefield | Bible Promises for Moms | Becoming MomStrong Journal
- Click here to donate a non-tax deductible gift to Heidi St. John, Inc.
- To give a tax deductible donation with an end of year statement, click here and give to our broader Firmly Planted Family Ministry site.
- You can also send donations to: 11100 NE34th Cir, Vancouver, WA 98682
Write to Heidi:
Heidi St. John
c/o Firmly Planted Family
11100 NE 34th Cir, Vancouver, WA 98682
Support this ministry by donating through E-giving. You can also send donations to: 11100 NE34th Cir, Vancouver, WA 98682
Join us at MomStrong International for our newest Bible Study and Scripture Writing!