It’s the most wonderful time of year!
It is wonderful. I love Christmas. Yet, if I’m not careful, I’ve had many Christmases as a mom where I have been so stressed and overwhelmed that I have missed out on the wonderful part. It takes a lot of intentional focus and redirection for me to have peace in the chaos of Christmas. But, I’m thankful that I’ve learned, after several years mind you, that if I am intentional, the peace is there.
So, how do we find peace in the chaos of Christmas?
The biggest thing that helps me to find peace in all the chaos surrounding Christmas is to remind myself of this all-encompassing truth:
Peace is a Person. His name is Jesus.
When I turn my eyes to Jesus, just as the old hymn goes, the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace. Turning my eyes to Him helps my heart to slow down, remember what is important and focus on the real reason we are celebrating.
So, just how to we turn our eyes upon Jesus during this crazy time of year?
- Just say no. Yes, just say no to MORE than half of the opportunities coming your way this December. I promise, you can do this. If I – a recovering people pleaser – can do it, you can too!
- Make sure that the activities you DO plan on, are helping you and your children to focus on Him. Choose wisely.
- Spend time daily with your children in prayer, devotion and reading books that draw you to the CHRIST in Christmas.
- Serve others. Nothing makes me happier at Christmas time than to see my children doing for OTHERS.
- Spend quiet evenings with the tree lit, reading the Christmas story together. Sing Christmas carols.
- Continue that thankful tree you started back in October or November. Not only does it help my children to count their blessings (and not their wish lists,) but it helps me to refocus as well!
If you have done all you can do practically speaking to not have a chaotic December and you still feel yourself becoming overwhelmed, I want to remind you that there is power in the name of Jesus. Call out to Him. Really. I’m not trying to be hokey. In the moments of despair, call out to Him. In the moments of chaos and complete overwhelming stress, call out to Him. Say His Name. There is power, peace and freedom to be found in the name of Jesus.
In closing I want to share one favorite Scripture passage that gives us great insight into finding that elusive peace we so long for!
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
Busy moms, this Christmas season, I pray that each of us can truly find peace in the person of Jesus this year! This passage in Philippians tells us that PRAYER brings PEACE. Did you catch that? Don’t be anxious, but instead bring it all to God. When you bring it all to God, then THE PEACE OF GOD will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus! This December, let’s make it our aim to spend more time on our knees and less time in the chaos.