We’ve all been there- it’s four o’clock, your hair is in a messy bun, you haven’t showered yet, you are still sporting the old painted-on college sweatshirt that you donned the night before and your sweatpants bear traces of snot, cookie crumbs and other unknown substances. You look frazzled, you feel frazzled, and you dread the thought of your husband getting home and finding you this way- let alone any unannounced visitors who may show up at your door! Oh, the horror!
“How did June Cleaver do it?” you wonder as you pick up your crying baby and holler for your son to take out the garbage for the 17th time. Then you remember that Junie Dearest wasn’t a real person and this ain’t the 50s no more! Can I get an Amen!?
But what if we didn’t have to take this departure from June’s ideals quite so far? What if we could find some middle ground and actually make ourselves feel better in the process instead of just more undone? Yes, today, mamas, I am proposing just a few simple ways we can stumble out of bed in the morning and pull ourselves together just enough to not feel disheveled but still be comfortable as we take on the daily tasks of conquering our homes!
5 Simple Ways to Pull Yourself Together for a Day at Home
1. Swap the sweats for some leggings! If you’re really feeling dangerous go with a bold color or maybe even a print. They are just as comfy but a whole lot less frumpy and some even have the amazing capability to suck you in in ways you never thought would be possible again post-baby! Just try them, and when you find a collection of them mounting in your closet, don’t say I didn’t warn you!
2. Show some love for layering! I don’t know why but whenever I pair a great extra-long tank with a fun top it makes me feel like I have stepped up a couple of notches on the fashion scale! It’s like that little bit of extra effort to add more texture and color to my ensemble puts me in a whole different league. And yes, you must use the word “ensemble” instead of “outfit” because it too will automatically make you feel more sophisticated and better about yourself. You just tried it, huh? And now you feel like a French actress, don’t you? Mmhmmm- we’re making progress already!
3. Move over college sweatshirt, long tops are in the house! If you are going to opt for leggings than some long shirts need to be an essential element of your wardrobe! Whether you pair something short with a long tank top (as I mentioned above) or you get some shirts that are delightfully long all by themselves, they are the piece that will make your newfound love of leggings feel completely natural and comfortable. Basically, if I’m shooting straight, leggings + a covered bum = splendor!
4. Trade the messy bun for a top knot! Aren’t we just in luck that the top knot is in style right now?! It is the quintessential, “I have not showered in two days so I piled all my greasy hair on the very top of my head” do, without looking like it! Take advantage of this trend while we can ladies!
5. A little dab will do ya! That’s right, I’m talking about make up! Now, I know as well as anyone that I just hate spending time and precious makeup on a day at home, but if I’m also being honest, I do feel better about myself and more ready to take on the day if I feel like I don’t look completely haggard! I’m not going to suggest that you put on a full face everyday, I’m just going to encourage three simple things-
- a little blush dusted on cheeks and eyelids
- lipstain (it can’t be rubbed off on your littles with precious kisses and it lasts all day!)
- and Blink mascara (I suggest this brand because it forms a tube around your eyelashes and does not smudge under your eyes during the course of the day at. ALL! You can literally nap with the baby with this stuff on and when you wake up it looks just as good as it did when you put it on!)
So, that’s it ladies! Simple, comfortable but pulled together! If you’ve already laid this ground work you can also always just throw on some earrings and a cute scarf before your hubs walks in the door and he won’t even know what hit him! We can do this girls- emulating June is for the birds but a little departure from our grungies can sure make life feel more fresh!